Here are the references and resources mentioned in Chapter 4 of the book 13 Ways to Talk About 13 Reasons Why:
- Twenge, Jean M. IGen: Why Today’s Super-Connected Kids Are Growing Up Less Rebellious, More Tolerant, Less Happy–and Completely Unprepared for Adulthood–and What That Means for the Rest of Us. New York, NY: Atria Books, 2017.
- Wayne, Teddy. “Are My Friends Really My Friends?” The New York Times, May 12, 2018. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/12/style/who-are-my-real-friends.html Last accessed May 14, 2018.
- Vitelli, Romeo. “Does Your Child Have a Digital Addiction?” Psychology Today, November 23, 2017. https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/media-spotlight/201711/does-your-child-have-digital-addiction Last accessed May 14, 2018.
- Brown, Brene. The Gifts of Imperfection: Let Go of Who You Think You’re Supposed to Be and Embrace Who You Are. Center City, MN: Hazelden, 2010.
- American Academy of Pediatrics. “How to Make a Family Media Plan.” Last updated October 21, 2016.https://www.healthychildren.org/English/family-life/Media/Pages/How-to-Make-a-Family-Media-Use-Plan.aspx Last accessed May 14, 2018.
- American Academy of Pediatrics. “Family Media Plan.”https://www.healthychildren.org/English/media/Pages/default.aspx#home (includes a link to the “Media Time Calculator”) Last accessed May 14, 2018.
- Bailey, Tricia C. “Talking to Your Kids About Social Media Safety.” The University of Texas at Austin Center for Identity — ID Wise. https://identity.utexas.edu/id-perspectives/talking-to-your-kids-about-social-media-safety Last accessed May 14, 2018.
- American Academy of Pediatrics. “Talking to Kids and Teens About Social Media and Sexting — Tips from the American Academy of Pediatrics. 2018. https://www.aap.org/en-us/about-the-aap/aap-press-room/news-features-and-safety-tips/Pages/Talking-to-Kids-and-Teens-About-Social-Media-and-Sexting.aspx Last accessed May 14, 2018.
- Nemours. “Teaching Kids to Be Smart About Social Media.” Last reviewed April 2018. https://kidshealth.org/en/parents/social-media-smarts.html Last accessed May 14, 2018.
- Ehmke, Rachel. “How Using Social Media Affects Teenagers.” Child Mind Institute. https://childmind.org/article/how-using-social-media-affects-teenagers/ Last accessed May 14, 2018.
- American Academy of Pediatrics. “How to Connect with Your Teen about Smart & Safe Media Use.” Last updated January 12, 2017 https://www.healthychildren.org/English/family-life/Media/Pages/Points-to-Make-With-Your-Teen-About-Media.aspx Last accessed May 14, 2018.
- Jacobson, Rae. “Social Media and Self-Doubt.” https://childmind.org/article/social-media-and-self-doubt/ Last accessed. May 14, 2018.
- Common Sense Media. https://www.commonsensemedia.org Last accessed May 14, 2018.